GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

A preview of the new GPW Edit

Discussion about the game Grand Prix World.
If you need help, post here.

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

Re: A preview of the new GPW Edit

Postby Ferrim » Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Veedub wrote:we could bribe Sionco into installing MediaWiki to host GPM2 and GPW wikis for us.

I like the sound of that. We're gonna make him an offer he can't refuse...
Ferrim

Postby Nuppiz » Mon May 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Ferrim wrote:
Veedub wrote:we could bribe Sionco into installing MediaWiki to host GPM2 and GPW wikis for us.

I like the sound of that. We're gonna make him an offer he can't refuse...

Well, you better have quite a few bucks ready for that. Hosting a wiki takes surprisingly much bandwith, and that won't be cheap to buy.

One of my many involvements in the internet world is being the other admin of Grand Prix Rejects (the successor site of F1 Rejects). Besides the main site and forum we also have a MediaWiki to store data and results from the many virtual racing championships hosted on the forum. Our hosting fees are $26.67/month, but the other admin also does a lot of technical work most people would just prefer to pay the webhost for. An all-inclusive package would probably be much more expensive.
Author of more than a dozen GPM2 Mods. Nowadays mostly consulting and helping others with their projects.
Nuppiz

Postby Veedub » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks Nuppiz! Well i'm working on getting rich part (no guarantee!) but not in that position yet, so in the meantime we can just use the forum as a pseudo-wiki, which is often what forums end up being, for better or worse! Not much of an update from me today. My significant other is selfishly consuming my time but it's for a good cause and may help with that getting rich part. I'm currently just piecing together some stuff for F1 Manager Pro that's been on the backburner for years and I should probably publicise before it's lost forever. Hoping to work on something substantial over the next month with GPW.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Veedub » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:28 am

Well since my last update, I've managed to put some good hours into reworking some of the hacking code I wrote years ago and that's allowed me to better organise the driver and staff data in the game. As a result, I have now implemented the ability to edit all F1 and Non-F1 drivers and chiefs. You will notice that there are now tabs inside tabs inside tabs, to break up these grids into subject areas and so that we dont have an entire scrollable row of tabs across the top. Before the first version of the editor is ready for download, there are little bits and pieces to finish off and I plan to dedicate a tab to adjusting teams' chassis handling percentages that are decided at the start of the game (if I can find them!). Sponsors will have to come later...

View image: http://i66.tinypic.com/27xhy7s.png
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby RacerBG » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:13 am

More options means more cool stuff, nice update as always! :)
RacerBG

Postby Veedub » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks RacerBG - hopefully we'll get the editor out soon and add more features later! :1smiley:

Recent work:
  • On 'upgrade', patching the laps for the French and Japanese GPs (71->72, 51->53).
  • On 'upgrade', patching the three missing test drivers into the language file.
  • Giving the three missing test drivers nationalities and commentary indices.
  • Adding/tidying-up functionality to change car numbers and commentary indices.
  • Adding the ability to set the starting car handling percentages for each team.
Upcoming work:
  • Strip all driver names from commentary sounds and texts. Whenever a driver crosses the line in P1, P2 or P3, you will now hear/see "P1", "P2", "P3" instead of "P1 - Eddie Irvine", "P2 - Eddie Irvine", "P3 - Eddie Irvine". While this simplication reduces game immersion, it will improve modding support for all seasons (as names are no longer relevant/out of context) and more importantly, it will allow the three missing test drivers to share commentary sounds/texts with a common index (as the game did not provision for their commentary sounds/texts and the game will crash when they are in the race). It also means we go from 123 sound files to 3 and will never need to edit the sounds again.
  • Find a way to 'upgrade' the game to update the commentary sounds on your behalf.
  • Improve pay driver editing to determine the "pay driver five star rating" value off the negative salary that the user enters in the editor. e.g. anything below 3mil = 1 star, anything above 9mil = 5 star.
  • Separate game upgrade from game configuration.
  • Detect upgraded exe to prevent upgrades occuring twice.
Hopefully that's no more than a month or two's work. :1smiley:

Of course, if you haven't already, check out the new F1 Manager Pro discussion forum and the new mini-editor to workaround the staff motivation and happiness bug. :1cool:
Veedub

Postby Veedub » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 am

Time for a quick update - lots of progress made in the last month but all this coding is getting exhausting, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting this released soon so I can put my feet up (or hands down) for a month or two. It's a bit frustrating how adding those three test drivers has created many new coding challenges but I think it is well worth the effort to ensure every team has a test driver.

Veedub wrote:Strip all driver names from commentary sounds and texts...go from 123 sound files to 3 and will never need to edit the sounds again.

I've spent a fair bit of my time trying to find the best solution for the commentary changes. The above quote is now redundant - all sound clips will still remain in place but some new sounds are added, to allow anonymising of driver names. However the text/transcript will still display the driver name. The editor will give you the ability to change the sound index assigned to a driver, and the sound clip assigned to the index. It will also dynamically update the drivers name in the commentary transcript, so you should never have to touch the \text\COMME.txt file to carry out manual changes. Maybe I'll get a screenshot up but you might find my next post is the actual release of the editor!

The editor will only support English text files but as things improve with the editor, maybe it can update all three languages with one change. For now, our non-english friends will need to merge the differences across to their language/commentary files.

I'm cleaning up the game upgrader currently. The plan is that you just run the upgrader against your fresh install and it will upgrade the game to v1.01b and then apply all the awesome features that we've managed to add in the last few years. Check back soon, hopefully by the end of the August!
Veedub

Postby Veedub » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Locking this thread, refer to GPWEdit to download the editor. :1smiley:
Veedub

Previous

Return to Discussion & Help