GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Research help needed for missing 1998 test drivers

Discussion about the game Grand Prix World.
If you need help, post here.

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

Research help needed for missing 1998 test drivers

Postby Veedub » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:11 am

In GPW (1998 season), Benetton, Jordan and Stewart only have two drivers and no test driver.

Can someone please name who the test drivers were for these three teams in 1998? Or if there is no obvious choice, who are the best drivers to fill these gaps? Maybe we could use the test driver that these teams had in 1997 or 1999? I'm just after the names for these drivers for now and then we can review the salaries and skill level if needed. Wasn't it Verstappen that replaced Magnussen during the 1998 season at Stewart? So he could be the test driver perhaps.

With the editing I'm doing on the game at the moment, this will hopefully allow me to add three drivers to the game. Unfortunately there will be no commentary sounds for these three drivers at this stage.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Re: Research help needed for missing 1998 test drivers

Postby Jack87 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:39 am

Hi Veedub,

look what I've found: http://www.allf1.info/lineup/1998line.php

About Stewart, I think test driver should be Verstappen because he drove second part of the season replacing Magnussen.
Jack87

Postby Veedub » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:01 am

Awesome, thank you. I'll use the drivers below. I've picked Jason Watt over Oliver Gavin, as Watt appeared to have better success in single seater racing - runner up in F3000 in 1999. Unfortunately Watt was paralysed in a motorcycle accident shortly after. Whereas Gavin "...drove the safety car from 1997 to 1999 for the Formula One championship."

Benetton: Jason Watt
Jordan: Pedro De La Rosa
Stewart: Jos Verstappen
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Veedub » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:15 pm

^ super bump almost three years later ^

If I choose the three drivers in my last post, I've realised that two of them will have missing nationalities (Spanish and Dutch). Jason Watt is surprisingly Danish, like Jan Magnussen.

And now after some google searching, I've found some further info and this link:
http://8w.forix.com/6thgear/testdrivers.html

So now I'm going to settle on these three guys, as their nationalities are covered in the game. Pedro De La Rosa and Jos Verstappen will just have to miss out. Remember that this is just for the base 1998 season, now that we're gonna including the three missing test drivers for these three teams. Nothing to stop you from adding Pedro and Jos in as Non-F1 drivers - although you'd need to compensate for their nationalities... but that's what mods are for. This is for the base game.

Benetton: Jason Watt - Danish
Jordan: Juichi Wakisaka - Japanese
Stewart: Luciano Burti - Brazilian

Hope you all agree with this direction. :1smiley: :1smiley:
Veedub

Postby Veedub » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:33 am

Well I've changed my mind again... Stewart's 1998 test driver is not going to be Luciano Burti but another Brazilian, named Mário Haberfeld. Reason? Couldn't find a decent driver photo of Burti pre-Jaguar/pre-Prost days. Plus I think Burti came into F1 circles a year later than Haberfeld (who ended up testing for both Stewart and McLaren).

As part of the game upgrade/commentary sound work, I'm also improving the base game by adding in little enhancements where I can, without getting carried away. One of those is implementing the Jacques Villeneuve fix. Does anyone agree with this guy's comments and the changes that his patch introduces? Do you want to see Ken Tyrrell and Jean Todt in these roles? Wikipedia suggest it was no longer Ken's team. And Luca was the chairman of Ferrari, not Jean.

https://www.fileplanet.com/136410/130000/fileinfo/Jacques-Villeneuve-Patch

Quoting from the readme:
This is the original Jacques Villeneuve picture created by James Hill for Grand Prix World.

This will overwrite the old John Newhouse one and even change his name to Jacques Villeneuve.

However this is made for Grand Prix World VERSION 1.01 unlike the original, and since the original patch is no longer found anywhere, I had to take action.

Note: This will also change Craig Pollock's name to Ken Tyrrell. After all Ken Tyrrell owned his Tyrrell team before Pollock and BAR took over. Plus I hate Craig Pollock. On another note, the team manager for Ferrari is now Jean Todt, like the way it should of been in the first place.

--ViperMask

I'll try to find a better driver head of Jacques than the one in that zip file but it's time to retire John Newhouse for good, now that we will have generic commentary sounds (i.e. no references to names).

Are there any other enhancements/corrections that you wish to see made to the base game to bring it up to a proper 1998 season? e.g. Spelling errors, statistical errors etc that need correcting?

I have no plans to replace Magnussen with Verstappen (as we have no Dutch nationality in the game). I also wonder if we can replace "M.Ainsley-Cowlinshaw" with another guy who has a shorter surname, so we can get a first name in there. A bit rough but I think Mick's being a bit greedy having two surnames. I'll also look at changing H.H.Frentzen to just H.Frentzen and any of those stupid tobacco sponsor (Marrano) workarounds. Helps simplify things for future season mods.

Get your quick fixes in now! :1smiley:
Veedub

Postby Ferrim » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:31 am

To be honest, I'm not very convinced by the proposed removal of driver names from the audio files. It certainly reduces immersion, and I don't see the point on hearing "P1, P2, P3" if the audio files won't tell me who are occupying these positions. We also have quite a lot of work done on audio files for different drivers, thanks to all the moding efforts that have been made over the years.

On the other hand, if it's the only way to have the extra three drivers working, I guess I can live with it.
Ferrim

Postby Simul810 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:24 am

With who owns the teams and trying to get it to get the right chairman/women names, In F1 there's often a change in ownership over the years. Benetton had a few changes in ownership David Richards 1998 Rocco Benetton 1999 and then Flavio Briatore returned. By 2002 much has changed in the game Goodyear, Benetton, Arrows, Prost, Tyrrell, Minardi, Stweart changed or withdrew from F1. Both Sauber and Jordan were both sold during 04/05. Like the Toyota engine arriving at a year in the gpw game, F1 had BMW, Renault Honda Jaguar join as manufacturers.

For any season you update the game to, you will always have to modify it in some way for the next year. We can just make changes to the season patches already made at the players choice. Could be through an option in an editor to substitute staff/drivers/sponsors in the game with another one with external text data and an image.
Simul810

Postby JayOTT » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:35 pm

Veedub wrote:One of those is implementing the Jacques Villeneuve fix. Does anyone agree with this guy's comments and the changes that his patch introduces? Do you want to see Ken Tyrrell and Jean Todt in these roles?

Personally I don't. The soon to be BAR was Craig Pollock's team at this moment in history, and Luca di Montezemolo as Ferrari's top representative makes at least as much sense as Todt.
JayOTT

Postby Veedub » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 am

Thank you for the feedback guys - I do remember some of the modded commentary sounds but tbh they always gave me the feeling of less immersion, as they weren't in a thick and heavy Scottish accent across a crackly radio signal. So I think it will be a personal preference for many as to which way they prefer. Clean and simplified vs. mismatched but complete.

I'll see what I can do to provide the option to retain the original or generalise the sounds as part of the "upgrade" step. The downside is that the player will need to assign Watt, Wakisaka and Haberfeld to the same commentary index. So for example, Newhouse has a commentary index of 67 (line 68 in COMME.txt), so when Villeneuve, Watt, Wakisaka or Haberfeld are leading the race, you would hear and see "John Newhouse P1". Sadly the game only provisioned space for 41 of 44 possible drivers.

As you guys have discussed, I'll ignore all the suggested name changes - I think we all agree to keep the status quo except bring in Villeneuve (sound file will still be Newhouse).

For any season you update the game to, you will always have to modify it in some way for the next year. We can just make changes to the season patches already made at the players choice. Could be through an option in an editor to substitute staff/drivers/sponsors in the game with another one with external text data and an image.

Agree, having image support would be dream functionality! For now, the immediate solution would be to allow specific importing and exporting (I think GP3Edit had this). i.e. tick a box in the editor to import only Engine names and attributes from your "2003 files", and then apply that to your "2004 files". Associated image changes would have to be done manually outside of the editor.

In other words, the grand plan as a player would be that you would:
1) Upgrade the base game through the editor
2) Download a season mod that someone created and is compatible with the editor
3) Extract the mod to your game folder and overwrite all files (incl. gpw.exe and english.txt)

So as a modder, you will distribute a modified gpw.exe with the season mod.
Veedub

Return to Discussion & Help