GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

GPW now fully functional on Windows 10!?!

Discussion about the game Grand Prix World.
If you need help, post here.

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

GPW now fully functional on Windows 10!?!

Postby Veedub » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 am

Hi all, I've stumbled across this...

DDrawCompat
https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat
https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases

Download the latest release (currently v0.2.1) and copy the ddraw.dll file to your GPW folder.
https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/ ... /ddraw.zip

On my Windows 10 laptop, I'm using an gpw.exe that's been upgraded with GPWEdit v1.0.

- Without the ddraw.dll file, the game runs well but frame rate is slow in race mode.
- With the ddraw.dll file, the game runs and has great frame rate in race mode!

This is full screen, upgraded exe, no DxWnd needed.

Please give it a go and let me know if the game is now running perfectly. :1huh: :1smiley:
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Re: GPW now fully functional on Windows 10!?!

Postby Niehoff » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:20 pm

for me at win 10, the game freezes at the FIA logo without running in win 98/ME compatible mode.
WITH the compatible mod, it shows the intro video and freezes richt after the video or in the moment i left click to abort it.

tryed the ddraw fix, but it isnt working :1embarassed:
Last edited by Niehoff on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niehoff

Postby Simul810 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Only the gpw.exe 1.03 loads fully for me. Try saving a game with those compatibility settings, with the gpw251815.exe and load that save in a gpw.exe 1.03.
Last edited by Simul810 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simul810

Postby Niehoff » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:40 pm

Simul810 wrote: Try saving a game with the gpw251815.exe and load that save in a gpw.exe 1.03.

thanks, but im not able to open the gpw251815
Niehoff

Postby Simul810 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:42 pm

What about using Dxwnd to get a save?
Simul810

Postby Niehoff » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:48 pm

even when i would get a save, i cant start any grandprixworld exe. but i cant find the 1.03 exe here, its all offline. the gpwedit,too.

i first thought i can start the 251815 but i cant open it too. it all starts with the win98/ME compatible mode and freezes after the into. without the compatible mode it freezes at the FIA logo :1rolleyes: sad, my favourite game
Niehoff

Postby Niehoff » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:09 pm

Anyone saw this bug before when starting the game?

its:
sample app did not properly cleanup objects
Niehoff

Postby Veedub » Tue May 01, 2018 7:57 am

Hi Niehoff, sounds like you are using the incorrect version of the gpw.exe. The issues you are experiencing have been resolved by using the GPWEdit to upgrade the game (and the gpw.exe). e.g. freezing on gold fia logo, sample app etc.

I think the gpw.exe v1.03 should also work but this version has now been replaced by the GPWEdit which will do all the hard work for you. You should not need to change compatibility settings on your gpw.exe any longer for windows 10. You might also need to check that your Windows 10 is updating to the latest version (or at least a recent version).

FWIW I'm not sure DDrawCompat will run with Windows 8 as it needs Windows 10 features to work.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Niehoff » Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 am

Veedub wrote:Hi Niehoff, sounds like you are using the incorrect version of the gpw.exe. The issues you are experiencing have been resolved by using the GPWEdit to upgrade the game (and the gpw.exe). e.g. freezing on gold fia logo, sample app etc.

I think the gpw.exe v1.03 should also work but this version has now been replaced by the GPWEdit which will do all the hard work for you. You should not need to change compatibility settings on your gpw.exe any longer for windows 10. You might also need to check that your Windows 10 is updating to the latest version (or at least a recent version).

FWIW I'm not sure DDrawCompat will run with Windows 8 as it needs Windows 10 features to work.

thanks for your reply, iam trying to get it work now for a fews weeks. still no progress. i think it has something to do with the monitor. i got my win 10 PC with the new monitor that has a refresh rate of 144hz. i think this can be my nextr target.

very sad, that the game is not offered on gog.com. the always make old games running under new OS...
Niehoff

Postby Veedub » Thu May 03, 2018 11:48 am

Admittedly all my machinery is very old and I usually run off the integrated GPUs anyways. I may get a new machine soon but that will just be a second hand intel i5 with a intel 4600 gpu.

Just to run through the steps again for windows 8/10, if you want to give it another go:
- install a fresh copy of gpw to your c drive (e.g. c:\gpw)
- make sure there is a "Save" folder in your GPW folder (e.g. C:\gpw\Save
- download and install gpwedit
- run gpwedit and upgrade the game (this copies gpw.exe v1.01b to your game folder and upgrades it)
- dont change any compatibility settings on the gpw.exe
- download DDrawCompat (see top of this thread) and copy the ddraw.dll file to your GPW folder (e.g. c:\gpw\ddraw.dll)
- run gpw (e.g. c:\gpw\gpw.exe)

On new machines the game runs at well over 300 fps in the menu screens and is limited to 24-30 fps in race screens so I don't think hardware is to blame. If your know your stuff, you could try running off the onboard gpu if you have one and bypass your dedicated GPU. Hopefully I can test the above again by the end of the month if I have my 'new' machine. :1smiley:
Veedub

Next

Return to Discussion & Help