GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Motorsport Manager

Moderators: Sean, RacerBG

Motorsport Manager

Postby SirCoolbeans » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi everyone! :-)

I'd like to introduce you all to Motorsport Manager. It's due out at the end of August for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.

I'm a huge F1 fan. I've followed the sport for 22 years and I've been a professional game developer for 10 years. The game is a complete labour of love for me and I can't wait to hand it over to you.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrVZ3spwFk4

Website
http://www.motorsportmanager.net/

Twitter
https://twitter.com/sircoolbeans (@SirCoolbeans)

Video Preview
http://www.appspy.com/feature/8878/hand ... management

“I don’t think I’ve played a deeper, better looking, more compelling management game than Motorsport Manager in years.” – AppSpy

Screenshots
ImageImageImage

If you have any questions let me know and I'll answer them for you. :-)
SirCoolbeans

Re: Motorsport Manager

Postby sionco » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Great trailer!
It looks very nice and smooth, the 2D/3D race view looks great, I even like the logo!

One question, are the driver portraits going to be in the final version? I think they are well drawn, but, in my opinion there's a little contrast between the cartoony pictures and the fast and highly-professional layout of all the other menus and graphics. But wish I had an ipad to play it!
sionco
Site Admin

Postby Lotus5 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:14 pm

Looks great!!!

I have some questions..
- How many tracks / races does a series have?
- Are there user/cpu mechanical failures, and is that related to the type of car you have/build?
- How are the cpu teams and drivers set up? Are there set teams or are they randomly created. Can you sign away another teams driver or have the same happen to you?

Sure I could ask a lot more but I won't :1cheesy:
Lotus5

Postby SirCoolbeans » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:48 am

Thanks guys! :-)

I quit my job last year to focus on this full time and it's well and truly a labour of love for me. I can't wait for it to be released now.

Thanks for the questions. They are actually very different to what I was expecting! I thought you guys would as about things like safety cars, weather conditions, whether undercut strategies work, if cars get damage etc, but you didn't. :D

Driver Portraits
Over the year of development I've done a lot of work on the portraits. They started out as you suggested. They used to be more realistic but they look weird. See other race strategy games for examples. It's "uncanny valley". So I tried using stylised silhouettes but they had no character and made the driver feel bland. So I arrived at the style I have. Drivers all wear sunglasses and have team hats on and have interesting character. At first glance it might not be for you, but the game is definitely better as a result. The portrait style also fits the tone of the game away from races, which is very light hearted.

How many tracks / races does a series have?
There are 8 series grouped into four tiers. The top tier has the World Grand Prix Championship which is 16 races long. Series get shorter in length as you go down. The British Racing Series has 6 races.

There are 38 unique circuits in total.

- Are there user/cpu mechanical failures, and is that related to the type of car you have/build?
There are mechanical failures for both your team and AI teams. You can influence your own reliability by spending money on reliability over aerodynamics (as an example).

- How are the cpu teams and drivers set up? Are there set teams or are they randomly created. Can you sign away another teams driver or have the same happen to you?
Teams and drivers are randomly created and signing drivers away isn't enabled at this point (of course there is a driver market though and contracts play a large part of the game). The reason for this is time and money. I had a limited amount of both and decided to I'd get a bigger win from focusing on the simulation. I'd say it's the most detailed simulation you would have played in this area and I'm confident that when you play the game you'll agree my focus was better spent there.

Thanks for the questions guys. :-)
SirCoolbeans

Postby Lotus5 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:31 am

Sounds good.

I dig teams being random. Should add some unpredictability when my first team fails and I have to start all over again.

Since you mentioned it,

what's the weather going to be like? Is it different depending where you are?
Can I tell my driver to pull Renault and have my #2 driver crash so Alonso can win the race ?
Do cars get damage?
Lotus5

Postby SirCoolbeans » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:51 am

The weather changes according to the location of the circuit. Tracks in Scotland have a higher chance of rain than desert tracks. Although it will rain from time to time in the desert.

There's variation in the weather too. Sometimes it can be super hot which has an impact on tyre wear. Sometimes it can rain lightly and other times the rain can be incredibly hard. The weather is visual within the 3D engine and the track actually gets wet over time. The harder it's raining the faster it'll get wet and the hotter the weather the faster it'll dry up. This will likely impact your strategy decisions. Do you leave your star driver out on soft tyres in the middle of 7 or 8 minutes of stormy downpours?

Cars do get damage and you can decide to leave drivers out with slightly damaged front wings. It's your call. I'll watch the lap times to make sure the driver behind isn't gaining too quickly. If it's near the end of the race you might want to leave them out with damage, at the risk of another accident of course. :-)

There's also a penalty system and drivers can be given drive-through penalties.
SirCoolbeans

Postby Lotus5 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:21 pm

It's out and it's awesome.

Would love for the series to be persistent from the next season.
Lotus5

Postby pycku » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:49 am

Is there going to be an android version?
pycku

Postby dangoth » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi mate, it seems to be an amazing game, love the design, you have planned to release in the OSX Mavericks?
dangoth

Postby sionco » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:05 pm

I can't test it as I don't have any apple devices, but if someone does want to review it. I'd be happy to put is on the reviews part of gpracegames.com
sionco
Site Admin

Return to Other Games