GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Updating the dheads folder

Links to mods and updates for Grand Prix World

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

Updating the dheads folder

Postby enwrong » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 pm

Does anyone know how to correctly update the dheads files in folder in the bmp folder. ie
Grand Prix World/bmp/dheads

I tried to add different images or replace the old ones, by say adding one for Zanardi in the bmp format with the same pixel size, but not with that green background (not that technically gifted) and it causes the game to crash on launch.

Can anyone help? I'm doing this because I want to change the free agent drivers from randomers to up and coming or old f1 drivers.
enwrong

Re: Updating the dheads folder

Postby Niehoff » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 pm

i can tell you, I just did it for the 2018 Mod!

The data names are very important. Its always a number, like 45 and the picture typ. Every picture has to be .BMP format. The freen Background is not that important. The reason for the green Background is that the green Background is transparent for the game. it replaces it with the standart GPW Background you see on every driver image from the original Game. I didnt gave Rosberg a green Background so you can see her retired, like chilling :1grin: It isnt crashing.

-make sure all pictures have the right name. only replace! make sure no picture is missing
-make sure alle are in .BMP

Its easy so delete a picture without replacing it with a new. I made the same mistake, too. Search if every picture is there.
I made you a picture so you can control your folder:

All of this picture files have to be in your folder. Please replay. If all are there, it could be a problem with the color depht. I made this mistake, too.
Niehoff

Postby enwrong » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:08 am

You see, I did this, and I checked the color bit and it was the same, yet the game didn't work when I loaded it up (black screen). Was there a program you used?

Do I need to do anything else or is that it? Do I need to reference it or anything?

Because here's what I'll do, replace all the test drivers pics.
And then in the editor, change name there.

That's fine right?

And LOL it comes out as this https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... nknown.png
enwrong

Postby Niehoff » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:07 am

I used paint.net thats all. Youre sure you have the size to 80x72? Looks like the picture is too big and the game tries to resize it and fails.

Is this the correct driver you tried to change?

I have no idea left what could be wrong. Maybe upload one of the pictures and i try to figure out whats wrong?
Niehoff

Postby enwrong » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Width 80, Height 72, then yes. :(
enwrong

Postby Veedub » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:19 am

Hi enwrong. The Zanardi image looks like it's 80x70 by my measurements from your screenshot. Double check your sizes as your height should be 72. You will notice that the Villeneuve image is slightly lower on the line. Other than that, I believe they are all standard BMP, 24-bit, no compression. Shouldn't matter whether extension is upper or lower case.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby enwrong » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks for the advice, but it doesn't matter anyways as it seems I have no idea how to change the driver names. :D So if you can point me as to how to change driver names that'd be great, as the editor doesn't allow this. :)

Also, I got it working by using the 3d paint editor on the pc rather than some random editor on some website with the same pix requirements. Weird https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... nknown.png
enwrong

Postby Niehoff » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:36 pm

To change the driver names, use GPWedit. you have to edit the language file with it. just replace the old names with new names. thats it. dont forget to export and save
Niehoff

Postby Veedub » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:13 am

Glad to hear you figured out the image size. As Niehoff suggests, the best thing to do is change your names first in the language file editor and export your changes. The names are read-only in the game executable editor as I haven't got the design right yet - for example, a driver name is shown across several tabs so needs multiple updates when a name is changed.

:1smiley:
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby GPW-Replay » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Greetings all! Have set myself an ambitious long term project to update GPW for the 2007 season - and while I have successfully updated the driver head BMPs they are not showing up correctly when I load the game - as per this image:

Anyone come across this problem before? I had similar problems trying to replace Jacques Villeneuve's photo in the base game, and it's proving a major impediment to modding the game!

As an aside - I am very aware that the team name and driver names don't match - it's a slow stage by stage edit at the moment! If pertinent, I am using DXWnd to run the game.
GPW-Replay

Next

Return to Mods & Updates