GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Formula XD

Moderators: Sean, RacerBG

Formula XD

Postby sionco » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Has anyone seen this:

http://nicholasheathfield.co.uk/wp/

it's called Formula X, has a cartoony style,good luck to him, there's been countless (including myself) developers who've tried to make an F1 management game and never finished.
sionco
Site Admin

Re: Formula X

Postby Tig_green » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks for the info. Never too much of these. One more project to follow. I think this is too promising, I hope all the best for this project.

There seems to be kickstarter soon and some video previewing the game's current state.
Tig_green

Postby FormulaXD » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:05 pm

Oh gosh, it's a thread about my game on the internet that I didn't start myself. :1shocked:

Well, it's all going tickety-boo at the moment. Before I launch a kickstarter campaign I'm very busy changing over some of the old menu UI for a more consistent one and paring things down into a demonstation build that I can possibly distribute to backers and/or bloggers.

Really very busy though. I might be ready to make a video on Tuesday. I've got some text to add to the new main menu, the engine contract system to recombobulate, the pitting system to check and to make some small prettification adjustments on the race screen, and then to record some of it, and do a voiceover. Tuesday sounds reasonable. I'm just thinking out loud here.

I've actually been meaning to pop on here for a while now, since that tweet I got from Sionco, but I'm really too busy to say more until this video is done, Tuesday or early Weds. I think after the Kickstarter is up I'll be in PR Mode, more time to chat. Well, toodle-pip.
Nicholas Heathfield
Creator of Formula XD
(the coolest ever racing management sim currently in development for PC by one guy)
Follow me @FormulaXDgame
FormulaXD

Postby sionco » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:07 pm

Awesome,

Yes, I think there have been many attempts to create racing management games, that if you do manage to finish it, it has a lot of potential to be very successful. If it's ok with you, I could post blogs of updates, with links to your website. We get a lot of Google traffic and traffic from motorsport websites when there's something interesting.

I like the fun natured language in your blog posts.
sionco
Site Admin

Postby FormulaXD » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:51 pm

That would be super! Thank you very much.

I'd better keep putting up blog posts on my website in any case. I will pop back on here when the video is ready, it would be a bit of a landmark moment for my project at any rate. "First moment that my game was deemed safe to show the general public." I will take a little bit of time to have a look at some of the other projects going on here and perhaps make a more appropriate introduction for myself and the project to go along with the video.

Anyway must dash. Thanks again Sionco!
Nicholas Heathfield
Creator of Formula XD
(the coolest ever racing management sim currently in development for PC by one guy)
Follow me @FormulaXDgame
FormulaXD

Postby FormulaXD » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:34 pm

Hello. I have an apology to make. I did not manage to finish making my video in the time I said that I would, having once again underestimated my computer's ability to transform gold into grime.

My website is also currently broken. This is at least partly my fault. I won't go into details. At the moment, none of the images work. *update - the marvellous people at Web Hosting UK fixed the problem for me*

Anyway, there's a bit of good news. Rather than a video, I've got something perhaps a little more interesting for people to have a look at: a playable build of the game in its current unfinished state.

http://nicholasheathfield.co.uk/wp/2015 ... or-humans/

It is in the form of a single-runtime Windows executable file. There is also a readme. Since it's not exactly a minefield of bugs, you could probably get away without reading it, but it's not a long file and the information in it might save you a bit of time.

Again, I am very sorry about not publishing a video when I said I would. I will be working long and hard on getting it to work.

EDITED - new link for now-working website.
Nicholas Heathfield
Creator of Formula XD
Follow me @FormulaXDgame
FormulaXD

Postby sionco » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:18 pm

Awesome, I look forward to trying it, will try and post about it this weekend, with links to your website!

I think having something playable is a great way to win over the community here, after many previous F1 management projects have offered a lot from screenshots, but no substance.
sionco
Site Admin

Postby Tig_green » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:29 am

I was about to post the pre-alpha release here, but you beat me to it. Nice to know the author have found this site too because I haven't been able to post comments on his site. I totally agree with sionco that it's important to have something playable. I will try it out and post my feedback here. Good luck with making that preview video.
Tig_green

Postby FormulaXD » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Actually Tig_green, I have now finished making it and came along to post a link!

I did recently approve your registration on the blog, so I hope you're now able to post comments. Sorry about the delay, I don't seem to get notifications for new registrations. I didn't really anticipate people wanting to comment on the blog itself to be honest.

Anyway here is the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvw-sq-PM3A
Nicholas Heathfield
Creator of Formula XD
Follow me @FormulaXDgame
FormulaXD

Postby Tig_green » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:32 am

I have now tested the current build. Very basic as pre-alpha suggested. So I'm not going to comment much but still some things:

- I have no problems with current gfx standards. It's more important how it plays.
- After race driver comments and press release is a good idea.
- I didn't encounter any CTDs or error messages which is always good
- Racing seemed ok, but it was hard to follow without driver numbers/names over the cars or any gap information between cars.

Obviously, this version lacks a lot of "MUST" features these kind of game should have. This brings me to a question of which are your goals here? What kind of quality are you trying to achive? I guess you will tell that once you have started your kickstarted campaing, but this question is already on my lips.

- Is there going to be an editor? How much can you edit with it?

- Are you keeping it fantasy or are you planning to bring it closer to real F1 world? ( I don't mind fantasy if the rules are clear and you could maybe use a editor to change some thing, like points system, more close to the real thing).

- Is there going to be proper car development system? Driver, parts and sponsor negotiations?

- How many season are you able to play trough? Unlimited? (preferable)

- How will the racing side work when finished?

etc. you know, important stuff :) I'm happy that you had the courage to release this version even though it isn't anywhere near completed. Now you have showed that it isn't all talks but also action. Thanks and good luck.

I will stay tuned =)
Tig_green

Next

Return to Formula XD