GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Any interest in a 1998 season mod?

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

Any interest in a 1998 season mod?

Postby JayOTT » Sat May 20, 2017 7:44 pm

1998 is a significant year for me, as it's the first year I can remember where I really 'followed' motor-sport. I was six at the time. The rose tinted glasses often make you forget that the on-track racing, at least in F1, was rubbish, but some things about that era were legitimately better...

But enough about me. Let's talk Motorsport Manager. With 2017 already well covered by various mods, I'm interested in creating something unique by depicting the Hakkinen vs Schumacher era, as well as the golden age of Champ Car and TOCA. 1998 is a great year for this purpose, especially since it's the season that GPW was based off of so there's that sense of familiarity on this site.

So the plan is to include the following series;

- For single seaters, Formula One, the Champ Car series, and Formula 3000.

- For GT cars, the FIA GT Championship and British Touring Cars.

This is perhaps MM's greatest strength compared to race manager games of yesteryear; multiple series running concurrently in one save file. Obviously this also means a huge driver pool (150 initially employed and as many free agents as I can think of). I'll also include my previous tweak to part costs and component RNG in this one.

However I wouldn't want to get everyone's hopes up just yet. This is probably going to take some time just to write up the new database, much less get matching 3D models because I know nothing about that and would need someone who actually knows what they're doing to handle that. Right now it's still just an idea in my head but I might turn it into something more than that if the interest in such a mod is there...
JayOTT

Re: Any interest in a 1998 season mod?

Postby Jops » Mon May 22, 2017 6:08 pm

I definitely would, same for me as you, the 98 season holds a special place in my heart as it's the first I really ever remember. 17 years of playing GPW hasn't helped either. It was a sad moment when guys like Barrichello retired having watched them every season i'd been watching.
Jops

Postby khriztian » Thu May 25, 2017 11:04 pm

It would be great to have a 98 season Mod! Hakkinen vs Schumacher was my favorite F1 rivalry.
It would also be very interesting to have young future F1 stars in the db (like a young Hamilton or Vettel), though I don't know the age limit in the.
khriztian

Postby JayOTT » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:49 pm

It's in the early alpha stage now. Got the performance of the cars and drivers just about right. Can't show much else yet as I haven't worked on it.

JayOTT

Postby JayOTT » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Progress on this specifically took a back seat because I've been working on something that could be a potential game changer when it comes to modding Motorsport Manager. Specifically, I've been trying to address the imbalance that makes engines way too overpowered in the vanilla game. This steam thread documents my vanilla findings and the testing of my proposed solution to this problem;
http://steamcommunity.com/app/415200/di ... 714585999/

I also re-statted the cars in my 1998 alpha build to balance things around my new scalers. Once again it looks pretty much bang on;

You might have noticed that Hakkinen's pole lap is 3.421 seconds slower than before. This is because I followed the example of Enzoli, Brian and FlamingRed and lowered the Top Speed value. Said value is 340 by default, I lowered it to 300 in the above example, and the modders I mentioned actually went with 280.
JayOTT

Postby JayOTT » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:40 am

The mini-mod WASN'T the mod I was talking about by the way. That was just a quick and dirty job that I provided a bit of help with to make the 1998 season playable. It's good if you want a short 1-2 season game, but my hope is that I can build on it and make a version that will be fun to play for as many seasons as you wish.

The next patch coming out will be an important one however as potential part balance changes or lack thereof may influence whether I do this within the workshop environment or outside of it.
JayOTT

Return to Mods