GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

How to change the main screen picture?

Post links to mods and updates for Grand Prix Manager 2.

Moderators: Sean, RacerBG

How to change the main screen picture?

Postby jent » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:06 am

As title says, if it's only a matter of overwriting a file where is it? Can anyone tell me what exactly should I do? Thanks.
jent

Re: How to change the main screen picture?

Postby ivaneurope » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:16 pm

jent wrote:As title says, if it's only a matter of overwriting a file where is it? Can anyone tell me what exactly should I do? Thanks.

It depends on what you mean under main screen. But here's what you can do:

* All PCX screen files are roughly 640X461. You need to create a plain clipboard with these dimensions in image editing tools like Photoshop, GIMP or Paint.NET among others.
* Then you copy your desired picture, paste it on the created file, resize it (if the image is too large) and save it as PNG.
* Then in Ifranview apply the GPM2 palette (extremely important) and save it as PCX file (you also need to specify the name)

Now, this is the method that I use. For more information, I'm strongly recconmending reading this subforum as it will give you more information: http://www.forum.gpracegames.com/viewforum.php?f=32

But in general, you need to overwrite the desired file. I also suggest you to back up the original file.
ivaneurope

Re: How to change the main screen picture?

Postby Nuppiz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:27 pm

CUSTOM.PCX is the main menu. Size 640x461, aspect ratio 1.388.

An easy way to resize images for GPM2 in IrfanView is to first open the image you want to edit, then the one you want to use as replacement. Then press Ctrl+A in both images, and in the image you're using as a replacement drag the crop lines until the aspect ratio is close to or exactly same as in the original image (this ensures that the image content doesn't get stretched or squished). Then press Ctrl+C on the replacement image and Ctrl+V on the image you're replacing. This way you get a replacement image which has the correct size and aspect ratio. Then just apply the palette; you can use IrfanView, but for better quality I'd suggest a more advanced editing software like GIMP or Photoshop that can use dithering. Save and overwrite the existing image and you're done.

It may sound quite complex at first but it's actually very simple and quick once you figure it out. Once you get the hang of it's perfectly possible to replace all menu images within one evening!
Author of more than a dozen GPM2 Mods. Nowadays mostly consulting and helping others with their projects.
Nuppiz

Return to Mods