GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

How to change the names of the drivers

Post links to mods and updates for Grand Prix Manager 2.

Moderators: Sean, RacerBG

How to change the names of the drivers

Postby DNPQ » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:10 am

I am editing a mod but there is one problem. I've never found how to change driver names in an net-compatible mod anywhere. In the topic about hex editing of this word not said sorry. How to make that instead of Alesi and Berger were other drivers, without using the cfg file and in-game editor? I know that this was last implemented in 2009 mod, but the site gpm2world.com no longer works to find any information about it. I will be glad if the old-timers respond :1smiley:
DNPQ

Re: How to change the names of the drivers

Postby Nuppiz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:53 pm

The default names of teams, drivers, major personnel and engines can be found in PERSNAME.DAT, which is located in the main GPM2 folder and can be fully edited with the regular Windows Notepad. PERSNAME.DAT is loaded by default each time the game starts so the edits are also shown during net play, although for obvious reasons all players need to have the same version of that file for everything to run smoothly.

However, the stats and skills of the drivers are embedded in the EXE instead. And even then only 42 drivers can be edited, the rest (36, i.e. almost half) will have their stats and skills completely randomised. Considering that each of those 42 drivers has 23 different stats and skills to edit, you're looking at 966 hex address edits in total! And that's just the drivers, although most mods take care of the other stuff such as engines and external supplier/sponsor names.

So yeah, there's a fairly good reason why the 2009 Mod is the only mod with net-compatibility so far. The driver stat/skill editing process would pretty much double... no, triple the average hex editing workload of a GPM2 mod.

I do have the Hex Workshop bookmarks IanWoollam originally sent me (which I've later expanded upon), and they contain the driver stat/skill addresses (all 966 of them). So if you really want to have a go at it yourself, I can send you those bookmarks.
Author of more than a dozen GPM2 Mods. Nowadays mostly consulting and helping others with their projects.
Nuppiz

Re: How to change the names of the drivers

Postby DNPQ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:46 am

Bookmarks I found, as you have them laid out before. Thank you very much for the tip with PERSNAME.DAT, it turns out everything was so simple. However, I immediately faced another problem. How to change the default line-up, remove testers, swap drivers. Is that possible? :1huh:
DNPQ

Return to Mods