GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

GPW now fully functional on Windows 10!?!

Discussion about the game Grand Prix World.
If you need help, post here.

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

Re: GPW now fully functional on Windows 10!?!

Postby Niehoff » Thu May 03, 2018 9:23 pm

I think a howto like this is the best you can get, thank you.

should be marked as sticky in this board!

trying it tomorrow
Niehoff

Postby Niehoff » Fri May 04, 2018 9:43 pm

game works very well now! wonderfull!

the last major bug i have is when i do one click somewhere, it goes like a rocket.

when i will give a driver +1000 salery, ge skips it to 50.000 with one click. but the bug is known here and i can handle it

with the ddraw.dll file it crashes with the error sare incompatibility. when i click ok it says the game will exit now. with a second ok it closes. but it runs without the ddraw
the other thing with is the framedrop in race mode. thats anoying but playable!
Niehoff

Postby Simul810 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:01 am

Position the mouse cursor over an icon you want to use and press Enter/Return to adjust what you want by one instead of multiples.
Simul810

Postby frank_olaf » Sat May 26, 2018 7:12 am

I 've followed all the steps that Veedub set out but I'm still getting stuck on the gold FIA logo page.

Anything else I can try?

(I'm on windows 10)

Thanks.
frank_olaf

Postby Niehoff » Sat May 26, 2018 10:24 am

Try to set the compatibility mode to win XP service pack 2.

Without, GPW stucks on the FIA logo for me, too.
Make everything in the tutorial here in this thread + compatibility mode XP service pack 2.

please report.
Niehoff

Postby frank_olaf » Sat May 26, 2018 4:02 pm

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. However, I can get it working using DXWnd, so that's good enough for me.

Thanks.
frank_olaf

Postby Ferrim » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:06 am

I might have a shot at this method, just for the sake of getting the game full-screen... but I guess our best option to watch full races remains running the game through DxWnd, isn't it?

That's the only way we can get advantage of time stretching and complete race weekends in under an hour.
Ferrim

Postby Veedub » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Sorry, I've been really busy lately but just popping in to say that my replacement computer has arrived and...

...it looks like Microsoft have made some improvements on Windows 10 game compatibility.

• Four year old Core i5 4570 with Onboard Intel 4600 GPU
  • Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 1803
  • Copy gpw folder from CD to C:\
  • Download and run GPW Edit v1.0 and upgrade the game (C:\gpw)
  • Run gpw.exe and accept the installation of DirectPlay
  • Game loads successfully in full screen (although not fully stretched)
  • Go to the race and the speed of cars (150%) is almost as fast as expected!

No graphics glitches, no DxWnd required and no DirectCompat required. Frame rate performance was okay but there was still some stuttering, even when not moving the mouse. So it may still pay to use DirectCompat, as it may improve game performance and responsiveness. But I thought it was interesting that I get could get the game to work on Windows 10 straight out of the box and after an upgrade by GPW Edit.

We've come so far since the days of struggling to get the game running on XP! :1laugh:

I hope to also try Hyper-V and/or VirtualBox virtual machines running Windows 7 to test for game performance and support for 3dsMax and PolyTrans to modify car shapes. Then if that all works I can get rid of all my old laptops!
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Niehoff » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Yeah Microsoft improved something here. Thanks to the most hated company :1grin:
Niehoff

Postby Veedub » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:07 pm

Ferrim wrote:I might have a shot at this method, just for the sake of getting the game full-screen... but I guess our best option to watch full races remains running the game through DxWnd, isn't it? That's the only way we can get advantage of time stretching and complete race weekends in under an hour.

VirtualBox VM performance is now better than ever before but watching full races probably still take over an hour. The upside of VirtualBox is that the game keeps running when you minimise the VM window. You can use Full Screen mode (not true full screen mode) or Seamless mode (full screen but title bar and taskbar remain). I'd say stick with DxWnd if you want time stretching. :1smiley:

I tried out Hyper-V. It was working great until I read that a Windows 7 VM does not play / passthrough audio. So its pretty much useless to us as the game will have no sound. Better off in Windows 10, Windows 7 or VirtualBox VMs / DxWnd.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion & Help