GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Grand Prix Hero

Post your game development log here and keep everyone updated.
If your regular you can get your own forum section.

Moderators: Sean, RacerBG

Re: Grand Prix Hero

Postby sionco » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:59 pm

a few updates.
I've only just returned to programming last week after another month off.

The game currently looks like this (the game can be in two 'zoom levels', not sure which one is best for a PC screen or a mobile phone):

the title screen 'poster':

Updates:
*The Editor can set the grid positions and and 'checkpoints' or 'waypoints'
*The game loads 18 drivers ( although they still are nameless and the cars currently all have the same speed and acceleration) and puts them on the starting grid.
*Can driver any car around the created track.

The computer cars don't really move properly yet, but that will be my next task. Oh joy the fun of rotations in game programming! :1laugh:
sionco
Site Admin

Postby sionco » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Small update as on my blog (http://www.sionco.blogspot.com)

The cars now follow the checkpoints, even though I'd like to make the movement smoother, and eventually they won't follow in such formation :1laugh: )

sionco
Site Admin

Postby sionco » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:26 pm

I restarted making this game this Christmas period, and the outlook is looking good.
I hope to make a fun 2D 1966/1967 F1 arcade racer for PC and Mobile.

What's done:
    Player Control: You can race your car,
    Computer Cars: They go around the track from check point to checkpoint
    basic car physics, so things such as power, mass, wheel width affect the slide, acceleration and speed of the car
    Laps: Laps are counted
    Positions: Positions are constantly updated
    Upto 30 cars can race, depending on how many are in the drivers.txt file and they are given the correct car as assigned to them in the text file
    You can select a car from some classic 1966/67 cars: (brm, lotus, ferrari, eagle, honda, cooper
    TrackEditor: It's the same track editor from previous version, but I still need to add track objects
    Single Race Mode
    Championship Mode: Points are added after each race, and the season ends once their are no more tracks

To Do.
Add gamepad support for pc
Add optional onscreen controls for Android
Computer AI, smooth turning and slowing down for corners
Add trackside objects
Load/Save Progress
AI overtaking / defending
Collisions
start of race lights / checkered flag
Work out how I'll do grid positions in championship mode, I don't really want to add qualifying.
Track Select (currently I have a track select screen, but only 1 track)

Other possible additions:
weather, I think rain would easily be added in regards to the physics of the car,but graphically it could be a bit more difficult.
difficulty, add easy, medium and hard modes.

BLOG
Game page (temporary)

sionco
Site Admin

Postby sionco » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:54 pm

I've now completed the track select screen (except for the graphics)
The game automatically loads any circuits in the game folder, this will make it easier to add / edit and remove tracks and for mods.

For more detail read my latest Blog post

sionco
Site Admin

Postby sionco » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:18 pm

I've decided to write my own basic 'faked' physics for my racing game, after finding it too hard to implement features into the one I had found on the internet, Now, I like to print these variables to the screen during development, but I think I'm showing too many variables:

Full blog post
http://www.sionco.com/arcade-racing-game-physics/
sionco
Site Admin

Postby sionco » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:16 pm

Starting to get some good progress done on this, in regards to the computer controlled cars and their movement.

Also, I've added a shadow, that stays on the correct side of the car at all times, and also the front wheels both turn independently of the car:

I think the shadows make the cars look much better, here's a comparison:

sionco
Site Admin

Postby Veedub » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:04 am

Impressive! :1cool:

(Because I know how hard and time consuming it is to write any code that works!)
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby sionco » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks,
Yes, I started this game last January, but I didn't have enough knowledge of how to do it.
but now I have to many ideas, such as for the AI, tile based movement, bezier curve based movement, following a 'rabbit'
sionco
Site Admin

Postby sionco » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:09 pm

I've made the cars a little bigger, compared to the track.

I've also been messing around a lot with the computer ai, and think I'm getting the hang of this, the computer cars are certainly moving smoothly around the track.

I just need to fix a few things in the computer cars cornering and braking, and then I can work on things such as overtaking.

Latest Blog Link

I'm still dreading creating all the graphics for it. The cars are ok, but menus, the track, track side objects will be hard.

If I do manage to finish this, I'd love to make versions with different eras of F1, such as the 70's and even a 2014 version. but that's a long way off. :1rolleyes:
sionco
Site Admin

Postby sionco » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:07 pm

A moddable racing game

In my game, I’m trying to separate things as much as possible, for example I have a separate file for each F1 circuit, this is due to two reasons, the first is that it makes it easier to quickly edit little things quickly, without searching through a lot of information, it also makes the tracks easy to edit, and I hope that Grand Prix Hero eventually becomes a fully moddable racing game, with both the graphics and data being editable.

Grand Prix

Since my last post, I’ve added a three letter short-code in each circuit’s file to represent the country, for example; ‘uk’, ‘ita’, ‘spa’ or ‘usa’. From this, the correct flag is automatically displayed on the circuit select screen, as shown below. I’ll eventually tidy the circuit select screen up a little, such as having better buttons, a smaller flag and I’d like to include some more information, such as a star rating system for how difficult the circuit is. Also, while not in my immediate plans, I’d also like to include the player’s stats on that circuit, such as best time, best position.

Continue Reading on my blog

sionco
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dev-Logs