GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Tool: GPWEdit v1.0 - Upgrade and modify GPW!

Links to mods and updates for Grand Prix World

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

Re: Tool: GPWEdit v1.0 - Upgrade and modify GPW!

Postby Pedrocas76 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:10 am

Hello again.
Still can't acess the edit file to change the game...
Always apears '76 error message...
Pedrocas76

Postby Niehoff » Fri May 04, 2018 9:30 pm

maybe i can help here:

windows 10 and i think 7 and 8, too dont let you use the gpwedit to upgrade the .exe if you installed gpw and/or gpwedit in the C/.....folder. go to the folder you installed both, right click, and give the user full right to change everything. read and write.

for me, the problem was solved with it

Does anybody know how to give the Teams the correct engine suppliers in the starting season?
williams has a honda engine, mercedes a ferrari engine and mclaren has a mercedes works deal.
i tried is with the gpwedit3.2 but i give every team the correct sponsor, i save, load the game and still get the same shit. when i reopen the editor it shows all correct. but for some reason, the game makes what it wants.
Niehoff

Postby Veedub » Thu May 10, 2018 4:45 am

Yes, if you install GPW to a protected area that needs administrator rights (e.g. C:\Program Files), then you must run GPW Edit in administrator mode so that it has permission to modify files. I usually install the game to C:\Gpw to get around this issue. :1smiley:

I hope to improve GPW Edit in the future to help you with this issue.

@Niehoff - i believe there is no editor that supports changes to engine suppliers. I hope to look at this in the future for GPW Edit but there's a bit of work involved. gpwedit3.2 has some support but as you have found out it is not 100% yet.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Niehoff » Thu May 10, 2018 11:01 am

Veedub wrote:@Niehoff - i believe there is no editor that supports changes to engine suppliers. I hope to look at this in the future for GPW Edit but there's a bit of work involved. gpwedit3.2 has some support but as you have found out it is not 100% yet.

the lexx editor does! so for the first season i got the correct engine suppliers.
sadly, after one season all supliers change. thats ok and should be like this, but mercedes drives with ferrari enginges, ferrari with renault and so on. these 3 should be fix.
i solved the problem by choosing before race 1 the gpwedit savegame editor. you can choose there sponsor for next year and give there a 10 years contract for 10 years so renault mercedes and ferrari stay with there engine works deal. sadly the editor is buggy with the suppliers. i choose ferrari, save it, and it gives some random deal :1rolleyes:

looking forward to new updates for your gpwpatch
Niehoff

Postby mansellsmoustache » Sat May 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Fixing the engine contracts issue would be awesome and would definitely have me playing this great game again. I can't stand to play MM because of its awful/non-existent commercial and suppliers model, GPW does that so well. Simply having the ability to ensure manufacturers are tied to long terms works deals with their own engine would be brilliant, hope you can crack that one Veedub.
mansellsmoustache

Postby frank_olaf » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:30 am

What car design calculation/handling calculation is used in this upgrade?

I know there was a discussion in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=223, about how to best set this up.

The reason I am asking is because I have a 5* designer (Rory Byrne) and went through all the design stages completely and 'only' ended up with a handling rating of 60% in my new car.

Thanks.
frank_olaf

Postby Veedub » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:20 am

@MansellsMoustache not sure if we can crack giving Ferrari a 10 year Ferrari engine deal, as that could play havoc with the Works/Partner/Customer logic but I presume it could work. Definitely something I want to achieve one day... :1smiley:

frank_olaf wrote:What car design calculation/handling calculation is used in this upgrade? The reason I am asking is because I have a 5* designer (Rory Byrne) and went through all the design stages completely and 'only' ended up with a handling rating of 60% in my new car.

Without going into complete detail, Chief Designer is weighted 25% and Chief Engineer is weighted 75%. Why more weighting for engineers? They demand greater salaries, so it makes more sense they have a greater influence on car performance. Every skill rating is worth 5% for a designer and 15% for an engineer (where skill rating of 1 is 0%). So Rory Byrne contributed 20% to your new car, and the rest came from your engineer, design efficiency and random chance. I hope to explain this calculation in the tool itself at a later date. :1smiley:

And a useful tip, your engineer is responsible for the year on year component ratings (clutch, gearbox etc.) for performance and reliability. The better your engineer, the better random chance that you get higher ratings in your components.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Ferrim » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:17 am

Dear Veedub,

I'm doing some updating of my 1998 season files. As you know, upgrading old exes with your editor, so that they can use the three extra drivers and other things, reverts everything to 1998 default values. Worse enough, the upgraded exe becomes no longer compatible with old editors, the most well known the Lexx GPWEditor, version 1b. When trying to use it, a "run time error 6: overflow" comes up.

Most things that were editable with that editor are already included in yours, but there's two I'm missing right now:

1) The ability to change how much each sponsor pays during the first season.
2) The ability to change how much FIA Funding each team gets during the first season.

I like to adjust team budgets, and the easiest way is changing those values. Right now you can only change the value that appears in the team selection screen, but that doesn't change the actual income, if you understand what I mean. And it would be necessary for other season's mods, as well.

Sponsorship can still be modified with the save game editor "GPW Editor 3.2", but the less things you have to change, the better. And in the case of FIA Funding, there's nothing we can do.

Using that editor it's also painful, because you have to change values one by one. At least with your good old GPW Patch, the .xls file saved you the job after the first time, but sadly, it doesn't include this sponsorship feature. And I haven't tried it yet, but hasn't GPW Patch been rendered obsolete as well by your exe changes? Because it includes a "prepare exe" option that will no longer work. Although, to be honest, I've always suspected that "preparing" the exe wasn't really needed for GPW Patch to work; I will give it a try...

Anyway, the point is: in a future version of GPWEdit, I would like to see these features added. Right now, I either have to play the 1.03 RPC patch, and miss extra drivers and updated lap counts for France and Japan (and maybe other changes that I've missed); or play an exe upgraded with GPWEdit, and not being able to change teams incomes.
Ferrim

Postby Veedub » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Noted Ferrim :1smiley: I think I have the hex offsets handy in the gpw.exe for sponsor amounts, so I'll try get these to you in the next week. Although be warned that I will rearrange the code at some point to support sponsor editing. But for now you could change the values in a hex editor. I think FIA funding values are in there as well.

Yes, the Estimated Budget values on the 'Choose your Team' screen are just display values BUT they are worked out from the numbers in the financial ledger / reports when you start a new season with a team and all the FIA funding and Sponsorship values are calculated up behind the scenes.

e.g. McLaren -> Team section -> Finance screen -> Summary tab

1998 Estimated Budget $84,500,000
But on team selection screen, the "display value" is shown as $90,000,000
But I think Ferrari are also 5 million above the estimation

So after you change your FIA and sponsor values for a team, start a new career with them and check out their 1998 Estimated Budget value. Maybe add five million dollars (merchandising income?) and round off the value and use as your display value shown when choosing the teams.

Yea the new GPW Edit has killed off a lot of the old editors :1lipsrsealed: but these are exactly the things I need to transfer across (I wish there was more than 24 hours in a day). I think the old Prepare EXE only changed game year and silly things like that but nothing significant.

I'll send you a private message when I find the offsets. :1smiley:
Veedub

Postby Ferrim » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:54 am

Veedub wrote:Yes, the Estimated Budget values on the 'Choose your Team' screen are just display values BUT they are worked out from the numbers in the financial ledger / reports when you start a new season with a team and all the FIA funding and Sponsorship values are calculated up behind the scenes.

e.g. McLaren -> Team section -> Finance screen -> Summary tab

1998 Estimated Budget $84,500,000
But on team selection screen, the "display value" is shown as $90,000,000
But I think Ferrari are also 5 million above the estimation

So after you change your FIA and sponsor values for a team, start a new career with them and check out their 1998 Estimated Budget value. Maybe add five million dollars (merchandising income?) and round off the value and use as your display value shown when choosing the teams.

Hey folks, there's some great advice for any of you who wants to modify this game :1smiley:

I actually calculate everything in an Excel book and make it that Team Selection budget display is more or less 10% bigger than Estimated budget. Relative to the default game, where every team is expected to make 4-5 millions out of merchandising, this takes some money away from top teams and gives a bit to lower teams - but as I increase the factory and chief expenses, in the end lower teams remain similar to default game, and the higher you go, the bigger a hit you get, so playing as Williams or Benetton isn't such a cake walk :-)

BTW that reminds me of other value I can't change with GPWEdit - factory costs and staff limits. Could you also send me the offsets for those?
Ferrim

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Updates