GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

What am I up to?

Discussion about the game Grand Prix World.
If you need help, post here.

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

What am I up to?

Postby Veedub » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:33 am

Well it's almost been three months since the release of GPWEdit v1.0 and we have had over 50 downloads so far! Not an jaw dropping number by any means but for those that have tried the editor, I hope that it has been fun to play around with. :1cool:

What am I up to? Well I thought I'd create this thread just to share my thoughts about anything I'm working on, so anyone still interested in the game can follow along. For those new to the forum, I use this game as a project to continuously improve my programming ability and try new ideas out. While at the same time, hopefully my efforts bring improvements to the game and give it an even longer lease of life.

So in the last few months I've had a bit of a breather and now I'm back into coding a better framework that connects all the game files to the editor. And the plan is to use this framework for both the GPWEdit and F1MPEdit editors. The key enhancement brought by this work will be better language support for all three languages in GPW and hopefully easier code to work with when I go public with the code. I also plan to make the code .NET Core compatible, which may allow the editor to be used on other operating systems, if that's ever required.

Other plans in the short term for GPWEdit include enabling the track editor, allowing default viewport configuration and shortcut key improvements. How long will this take? A long time, but rest assured I am still working on the game and I'll try to update everyone at least every three months or sooner on my progress. :1tongue:
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Re: What am I up to?

Postby Veedub » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:48 am

Happy 2018! Not much for me to report on since my last post. I notice things have been pretty quiet around here, which may be a sign of the times but we also now have 100 downloads of GPWEdit, so I can definitely see that there is still interest in the game. You may have seen that I have opened up a "Wiki" forum for GPW, which over time we can populate with lots of technical info about the game.

I have been spending a lot of my time rewriting the editor code and learning new coding techniques in the process. Sadly there's nothing that benefits you guys right now but all this work improves my job prospects at the same time. Happy gaming until my next update!
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby polo199 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Just wanted to thank you for your work and for keeping both this forum and the game alive.

You may be right: "times are a changin'". Always puzzles me that people are now raving about Motorsport Manager (looks like a decent game), as the only Motorsport manager, whereas GPW is 20 years-old and much more elaborated and deep than MM. What a great game!

Just hope somebody (you?) will someday find a fix for the 2-hours bug. That is the only real game killer (or reload-save trigger) I can see.

Godspeed for the professional side of your life (seems like working on GPW_editor was not completely fruitless. Happy to read that).
polo199

Postby Veedub » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks polo! The real credit should go to sionco who runs and pays the bills for the site. Happy that our contributions, in whatever form, can keep these classic games alive. It seems to be dearthly quiet in here currently but I'm sure there is still an audience.

Since my last update, I'm continuing to rewrite GPWEdit (in .NET Core/Standard for all you geeks out there) and the key benefit is that it will now support all three languages used in the game. Along the way, I am making some improvements so that the editor less technical. For example, you just enter a negative salary for a driver and the editor will ensure that the driver is properly configured as a pay driver in the game. Hopefully in another three months from now, I might have an updated version available for download. Then I can go back and see if I can address more important things like sponsors, hacks, bugs, etc. Plenty keeping me busy in work and life as it is.

In other potentially great news, check this out, all you Windows 8/10 gamers.
http://www.forum.gpracegames.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=633
Veedub

Postby Veedub » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:07 am

Time for another update. The rewrite continues and is largely complete. Sadly the month of May was a write-off but I'm trying to keep at it. Currently finishing off language and commentary file support. So if you change a drivers name in the editor, it automagically updates the language and commentary files to match. Then you can separately configure the sound file(s) that should be used for the driver by altering the prefix of the filenames (SCHU, RALF, HAK etc.). Some of the old editor features (e.g. validation of values) will disabled as I migrate them across but the key features are almost done - upgrade, configure, edit.

A lot of the rewrite adds support for the three languages - English, French and German, and as a result, it will mean our French and German players need to explicitly play in those languages. Or in other words, you should try to not edit/translate the English files (english.txt or comme.txt) to a language other than English, as it may break the editor. For example, in the commentary files, I need to extract the drivers name from phrases like "Michael Schumacher in pits", whereas in French it is "Michael Schumacher aux stands" so I have to hard code the sentence structures. I may be able to make this configurable in future for our Italian and Russian players, for example, so they (and any language) can use the English files as their base language files to work from. Another example is when changing a team name - it also requires a change to several lines inside the language file to match the new team name.

Hopefully my next update will be a new version of the editor, and it will be in the not too distant future. :1lipsrsealed: :1smiley:
Veedub

Postby Niehoff » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Its not just done now with editing a driver name, yeah. You also need to edit the name in all the lines in the language.txt. Thats the most work, the language.txt files.
I lovely would do a 2018 mod and i tried it several times. But most times, my changes crash the game couse of wrong language.txt edits:1rolleyes:
Niehoff

Postby Veedub » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 am

Veedub wrote:Hopefully my next update will be a new version of the editor, and it will be in the not too distant future. :1lipsrsealed: :1smiley:

Three months later and I've broken my promise. :1laugh:

BUT... since my last update, we now have GPW working perfectly, fullscreen, high framerate, in Windows 10 and largely thanks to some changes by Microsoft and a piece of software called DDrawCompat. You should get 60 fps in the menus (and normal mouse clicks) and 30 fps in the race screens. It appears that Windows 10 (or Intel 4600 onboard GPU) is forcing a 60 fps vertical sync (V-sync) limit on the game which helps with menu gameplay. If the game is not widescreen at full screen, you may need to adjust your 3D graphics properties to scale the game, so 800x600 can go widescreen, if you prefer. If you want to play GPW in a window, then running Windows 7/10 in VirtualBox might be an option for you, so you can minimise the game as it runs in the background.

So where is GPWEdit? As busy as life has been, I have spent what time I have re-implementing the language file editor (now triple language support) and editor options, like game folder selection, registry key options, launch game path etc. Small stuff but more user friendly, as I think some people were getting lost in the upgrade game process due to my unfriendly UI. So it is almost ready to release but...

I have also spent a few hours reanalysing the sponsorship code in the game and it doesnt look as fearful as I first thought. Happily I've made sense of the numbers and how contracts are assigned between teams and sponsors/suppliers. It will require some rearrangement of the code and some dynamic import/export code to handle the many possibilities. So I thought there is not much point releasing the editor at the moment (given we are still miles away from 2019) and it would be good to get the sponsor/supplier editing done and dusted! It does feel like the biggest weakness in our season mods currently.

Sponsorship/Supplier planned possibilities:
* Allow the assignment of a team sponsor to a team or no team
* Allow the assignment of a cash sponsor to a team or no team
* Allow the assignment of an engine supplier to a max of eleven teams or no teams
* Allow the assignment of an tyre supplier to a max of eleven teams or no teams
* Allow the assignment of an fuel supplier to a max of eleven teams or no teams
* Allow an engine/tyre/fuel supplier to be marked as active or inactive
* Allow an inactive engine/tyre/fuel supplier to have specific or randomised R&D/Cash ratings
* Allow the editing of the cash value on every deal
* Allow the editing of what cash slot the cash sponsor appears in (5 -> 10)
* Allow the editing of the cash value received from the 1997 FIA ranking

Basically most possibilities will be available. R&D rating has a direct relationship with what works/partner/customer deals are available in the following seasons, so it will be interesting to see how the game logic would handle there being 11 teams assigned works deals to a Ford engine at game start, with all other engine suppliers inactive. But it is a scenario that I'd love to see, and already takes place when there's only one tyre sponsor in the game but maybe not all works deals.

I'm not sure I can alter the length of contracts and not sure I'd want to either, as I'm not convinced on giving Ferrari a 10-year contract of Ferrari engines, regardless of how realistic that might be. Ferrari has every right to stop making engines or take a better supply of engines if they just want to sell their boat anchors to Minardi. Plus it gives Ferrari players a huge resource/cash advantage if they do not need the commercial effort to negotiate an engine deal every season or three. I'll keep you posted on my experiments in a separate thread. Until the next update!
Veedub

Postby Ferrim » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:04 am

Veedub wrote:Small stuff but more user friendly, as I think some people were getting lost in the upgrade game process due to my unfriendly UI.

Interesting. One of the things I like the most about GPWEdit is that it doesn't let you destroy things, and it clearly informs you of what you're doing wrong. I find it intuitive, actually!

Regarding the Ferrari-Ferrari question, would it be possible to force it on the AI-controlled teams only? So that the player would always have to negotiate an engine deal, but the AI wouldn't become Ferrari-Hart. Although I guess this would be easier to manage through a save game editor.
Ferrim

Postby Niehoff » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Ferrim wrote:
Veedub wrote:
Regarding the Ferrari-Ferrari question, would it be possible to force it on the AI-controlled teams only? So that the player would always have to negotiate an engine deal, but the AI wouldn't become Ferrari-Hart. Although I guess this would be easier to manage through a save game editor.

Thats not possible as the game is right now. Give a team a 10 year contract is possible. Do it only for AI is not included in the game.
But if veedub managed to include the contract length in the gpwedit, you can enable and disable it for sure. But thats talking about tomorrow...
Niehoff

Return to Discussion & Help