GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Having trouble running the game on windows 8

Discussion about the game Grand Prix World.
If you need help, post here.

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

Having trouble running the game on windows 8

Postby Himuchan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Ok so i've been trying multiple things to run this game and the closest I got was with a virtualbox of a windowsxp client and I got it running but for some reason my mouse responded way to fast to my clicking and I couldn't normally set the laps and everything else I need to click a + or -.

So I found the thread where I can run it on my main pc (windows 8) with dxwnd and had some interesting results. I tried everything that it said in the thread but for some reason when everything was said and done I couldn't get it to work. It just flickers 3 times before dumping me out saying "Failed initialization, Grand prix world will now close". I am using the 1.03 patch.

I hope somebody can help because I wanna be able to play one of my favorite games again.
Himuchan

Re: Having trouble running the game on windows 8

Postby Niehoff » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:27 pm

you could try to install old directx and c++ runtime components. helped me on win7

but at all, i think the game is dead. i dont get it started in win 10,too :1sad: sad, that the game will die couse of compatibilty problems.
microsoft promised, that every game that was running under older windows versions will work under win 10. here we are, microsoft! :1angry:
Niehoff

Postby Veedub » Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 am

Hi Himuchan - for Windows 8, I think your only option is to use DxWnd. I do not have Windows 8 so I cannot test for you but hopefully the same steps described here still apply. Other than that, I can only suggest to use Windows 7 or 10. :1smiley:

The fast clicking in the game is sadly something we dont know how to resolve yet.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Himuchan » Tue May 01, 2018 7:43 pm

I havent tried it with gpwedit but What exactly does it do? I was uusing wxnd and there i got that problem where it Just flickers 3 Times and it wont start after that.
Himuchan

Postby Niehoff » Thu May 03, 2018 9:10 am

Veedub wrote: to use Windows 7 or 10. :1smiley:

nope, win 10 isnt working for me. but 7 was working very well
Niehoff

Postby Veedub » Thu May 03, 2018 11:52 am

Himuchan wrote:I havent tried it with gpwedit but What exactly does it do? I was uusing wxnd and there i got that problem where it Just flickers 3 Times and it wont start after that.

GpwEdit will upgrade the game so that it is compatible on newer Operating Systems (Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10).

See my reply to Niehoff here: viewtopic.php?p=5106#p5106

Try the same on your Windows 8 system, as I think it should also work on Windows 8. :1smiley:
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Himuchan » Thu May 03, 2018 11:27 pm

I can't download GPWedit anymore it says that file has been deleted whenever I click on it.
Himuchan

Postby Veedub » Fri May 04, 2018 5:27 am

Oops sorry, try again with the new link that I posted in the GPWEdit thread. :1smiley:
Veedub

Postby Himuchan » Fri May 04, 2018 11:48 am

Veedub wrote:Oops sorry, try again with the new link that I posted in the GPWEdit thread. :1smiley:

Thank you so much I got it too work without dxwnd now :D. Not sure the ddraw thing was nessecary but I used it anyway and it's working.
Himuchan

Postby Veedub » Mon May 07, 2018 2:26 am

Fantastic. Windows 8 is a special OS but glad that its working with DDrawCompat. :1smiley:
Veedub

Return to Discussion & Help