GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Rookie/Young drivers improving discussion

Discussion about the game Grand Prix World.
If you need help, post here.

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

Rookie/Young drivers improving discussion

Postby Himuchan » Thu May 10, 2018 11:00 pm

So i've been wondering how does the game take into account if a driver will improve next season?
My latest playthrough I went with prost and I resigned jarno trulli for 2 seasons and to my surprise by his last season he had improved to almost Hakkinen status. He also had 5 points in wet weather which basically won him every single race where it rained.

So i'm wondering how the game handles this. Some examples for improving:
Driver beeing young?
Is it pre implemented so everyone grows equally the same every playthrough
Random?

I wonder what you guys have to say on this matter
Himuchan

Re: Rookie/Young drivers improving discussion

Postby Niehoff » Fri May 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Its not always the same!
With every game i find new storys how the drivers change.

The Age is an important thing.
A old driver wont improve that much because he only has a few Seasons left. Every year Drivers change. They can go down with the abilitys,too!
Sometimes my drivers improve in one ability and go down on the other.

How it is programed exactly, i dont know.

Did you ever saw a Stuff Member improve?
One time i signed a 4 Star designer for the next year. At the start of the new Season, he only had 3 Stars left :1grin: I was going crazy! But thats an important part of the game. You sign someone and when hes there, hes better or less good then you thought he would be.

Nice that you still enjoy the game!

Ever tryed a mod? Or do you always play the 1998 Start?
Niehoff

Postby Himuchan » Sat May 12, 2018 12:15 am

Yes I have seen my staff improve I used to have a 4 star designer and it improved to a 5 star! (lucky!)
I still enjoy the game and I usually watch every race (when i'm atleast a top 5 team) except for hungary because it's just buggy as hell.

I still want to try a 2000 mod but no clue where to look for and how to install it (I was a big fan of montoya in the blue williams)
Himuchan

Postby Ferrim » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:44 am

Himuchan wrote:I still want to try a 2000 mod but no clue where to look for and how to install it (I was a big fan of montoya in the blue williams)

Hi Himuchan,

I was having that same problem a while ago and I decided to make a copy of the oldest mods, up to 2002. In this folder https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7rKH ... WJjT0JBbmM you will be able to find mods for 1996-2002 as well as many other utilities for the game, although I guess those have been rendered obsolete by Veedub's work in recent years.

These mods would need some updating, mainly in the gpw.exe file, because they were made many years ago and are using the 1.01 version of the patch, which is missing all of the improvements of the past few years. If you use Veedub's 1.03 or whatever version is currently the most recent one over these mods, all the stats will revert to 1998...

I think it would be great if someone could work from the existing 1998 game and Simul810's mods to bring all these years back to life. Right now we have a way to play the game in newer systems, and also a patch and editor that allows us to get rid of the yellow flag bug, to change the points system, to change the handling curve... every big problem with the game, apart from inexistent AI deal logic ("Tuero to Ferrari") and the lack of track-editing possibilities, can now be addressed and improved.

I'm currently missing both the time and the motivation to undertake such a project, but in the main it's just working in a different gpw.exe for every year... I would be pleased to assist in that project. Maybe we can even work from those mods gpw.exe? I believe there's an utility in Veedub's mod that updates the 1.01 to 1.03 - if so, we would save a lot of work because those mods already have updated stats for their respective seasons. The only question mark would be whether those updated 1.01 versions have been slightly corrupted, as they were edited with old tools (Lexx editors and so on) and maybe that introduced small changes that Veedub's patching utility couldn't like...
Ferrim

Postby Veedub » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 am

Niehoff wrote:How it is programed exactly, i dont know.

You are largely correct - young drivers generally improve and older driver generally decline. There is a lot of logic that factors in age brackets and random chance of rating increases/decreases for both drivers and chief. Hopefully things like championship position and morale are also factored in but I cannot say for sure without reviewing the code. But glad to say that the creators have put some effort into that aspect of the game! :1smiley:

Ferrim wrote:These mods would need some updating, mainly in the gpw.exe file, because they were made many years ago and are using the 1.01 version of the patch, which is missing all of the improvements of the past few years. If you use Veedub's 1.03 or whatever version is currently the most recent one over these mods, all the stats will revert to 1998...

I still need to contemplate how we can transfer/keep these mods alive with all the changes I have made and will make. Or I can build it into the tool - e.g. press button to load 1999 stats. Not sure yet. For now, I do not think the drivers and chiefs code is going to change, so it's pretty safe if someone wants to create a new exe from the tool and write stats into it. Of course, we now also have three extra test drivers to consider that may not be loaded into the mods.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Ferrim » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:36 am

I have just tried and I can confirm (I guess Veedub already knew) that upgrading a gpw.exe file with GPWEdit erases all info from modified exes and replaces it with the default values.

Therefore, right now updating old mods requires manually making all the changes again. We should still be able to use the graphic parts more or less "as they are".
Ferrim

Return to Discussion & Help