GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Realistic results

Discussion about the game Grand Prix World.
If you need help, post here.

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

Realistic results

Postby Schok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:18 pm

I have noticed that I am able to get much better results when I manage qual and race, than if I "sim" themf. Is this also your experience?
Fx. I just got finished with my first season with Williams (running the original game modded with GPWEdit), and won both the DC and CC. I had them both settled with 2 rounds to go, so I sim'ed through the last 2 races, to get the new season going. Both races I was significantly worse resultwise, than I had been when i manage them myself. Coincedence?

And then I got thinking, what will give you the most realistic results? Sim or manage qual/race sessions?
Schok

Re: Realistic results

Postby Niehoff » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:49 am

you should always manage the races and qualifyings by yourself.

the qualifying has a very big difference because you can give driver orders.
you cant give the driver order 100% speed, brakes, kerb use etc and then simulate the weekend. it would kill your engines and the cars.
But by managing the weekend yourself, you can give them 100% Speed and kerb use for the qualifying run and switch it back afte the flying lap. Try it! The drivers will tell you "overheating" for the qualifying lap. Just switch it back then and youre fine. You will be able to get about 0.200 seconds faster qualifying laps.. Thats alot!

With the race, its the strategie. If it startes to rain, you can get the perfect moment for changing to wet tyres. You will always have a better rain performance then the AI.
Niehoff

Postby Ferrim » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:08 am

As Niehoff says, your performance will be far better if you manage the races, particularly in changing weather conditions. Sometimes you'll get a top car having a DNQ because of rain in qualifying, that's one problem of less.

Also, you wouldn't run away with the championships as Williams if you played with my settings :1grin: I have to make a season campaign, sometime, somehow, to show how much different, realistic and fun the game can be with some performance adjustments and the help of the new Veedub patches and tools. These days, you see people running campaigns with this game on Youtube, and is a real pity that no one seems to be taking advantage of the improvements.
Ferrim

Postby Schok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:10 am

Ferrim: What settings do you use? I run the GPWEdit to be able to run GPW on WIn10. Haven't been able to get any mods to run sadly.
Schok

Postby Ferrim » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 am

I mean I've heavily edited pretty much everything in game. In my games McLaren are running away with the titles in the first season, unless Schumacher can get a few breaks early on with weather and reliability. You may put up a fight to McLaren in qualifying, with the soft tyres, but in the races they will be massively faster than you.
Ferrim

Postby Veedub » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:00 pm

@Schok Welcome to the forum. I helped write GPW Edit to keep the game alive on Windows XP/7/8/10. But sadly it breaks every other editor / mod written for the game so far (as some of the code had to be moved around etc.) It was a tough compromise. As GPW Edit is expanded hopefully the mods will be repackaged. :1smiley:

If you want to play the game with the older mods, then you probably need a Virtual Machine that runs Windows 98 or Windows XP as the mods probably do not work on newer operating systems. Install the game and then install the mods. Do not use GPW Edit at all as it will break mods. My bad. :1lipsrsealed:
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Ferrim » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:25 am

BTW, I got a new set of handling values for the "recommended" performance curve in GPWEdit:

Williams 54%
Ferrari 58%
Benetton 52%
McLaren 82%
Jordan 46%
Prost 35%
Sauber 40%
Arrows 29%
Stewart 33%
Tyrrell 27%
Minardi 18%

I realised that, with the new performance curve, there was no need to set handling values as low as before. Now there's room for improvement higher up the curve, so McLaren can start higher up than in my previous version. And this increases the spread elsewhere in the curve, so developing during the season is a bit less powerful (I like that developing or not becomes a decision, but felt it was overpowered in my previous version).

These values are based in early season form. If you want to have a "whole season" feeling, you'll probably need to up Ferrari's and Jordan base performance.

Also, when calculating the handling values, I've decided to peg them to the best car performance instead of the average. This, given the nature of GPW, means that if you use these values you will see Magnussen and Rosset doing better than they should - there's no way to make them bad enough :1grin: For more balanced performances, you can try reducing Stewart's and Tyrrell's handling by around 3 points, but that will bring Barrichello and Takagi to P15 and P19 or worse pretty much every race, while they spent most of the season doing better than that.
Ferrim

Postby Veedub » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:41 am

Great, thank you. I can update these values on the quick button for the next release. Of course for the following season, the design calculations based on staff ability, randomness etc. kick in.

One thing that just crossed my mind, you know when the FIA regulations are defined before the end of each season - you have the low range, mid range, high range and no change (?) rulings - I wonder if that impacts the performance curve that is read from the exe and whether that is regularly saved to saved game. As the seasons progress, would the performance curve be altered by the game due to the FIA regulations changing? Who knows, maybe the game is not as dynamic as that but I just find it a bit strange that you only get a few points towards your design progress when you are in the right range. (And even then it bugs out) Hmmm...

I was going to suggest that you could even have a performance curve per season mod if it was easier to manage team performance that way.

Ferrim wrote:BTW that reminds me of other value I can't change with GPWEdit - factory costs and staff limits. Could you also send me the offsets for those?

I should have them handy. Not sure on staff limits but definitely factory construction costs and overheads. Keep a log of all the changes you are making to each area and perhaps I can have a one click button to populate the data grids with "1998 season data", "1999 season data" etc. or something so it is easy to switch season data.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Veedub » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:27 am

FYI made the update in the code today. Change will be available in the next release.

The new numbers look good to me. I like that you take the performance from the best performing driver in 1998 rather than an average of the two drivers. I think that's a fairer representation of the car's ability, even if Schumacher, Hakkinen and Villeneuve/Hill were gods in that era.

Code: Select all
var oldValues = { 44, 50, 45, 66, 37, 26, 34, 23, 22, 13, 13 };
var newValues = { 54, 58, 52, 82, 46, 35, 40, 29, 33, 27, 18 };
Veedub

Return to Discussion & Help