GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

Car/engine condition after quali session

Discussion about the game Grand Prix World.
If you need help, post here.

Moderators: Veedub, Sean, RacerBG

Car/engine condition after quali session

Postby polo199 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi guys,

Still the best motorsport manager out there. Even better with the addition of GPWedit. :1wink:

After a short hiatus, I've started to play again with Williams (quite easy I know :1rolleyes:). I'm getting the rear-wing issue thanks to the Meccachrome engine rigidity.

What I'm wondering is whether tapping into the engine (or car) condition has any impact on the car/engine durability during the race ?
Can I run the session balls to the wall without fearing damaging the engine for the race ?
When I start the race, I usually notice the engine/car condition being full. Still I'm having a hard time mitigating that top speed/rigidity issue (even though I'm aware it's linked to top speed).
Any suggestion on how to handle it (anything else than "run the race with top speed = 2")?

A side question, is acceleration only impacting starts (quickness and spin control) as per the manual? Or does it have an impact on a whole lap time?
polo199

Re: Car/engine condition after quali session

Postby Veedub » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi polo199 :) The short answer is, without reading the code behind the game it is hard to know for sure.

Generally if the rigidity rating of the engine is 4, I set the top speed to 3. And it seems to be fine. If it's 4 to 4, then the rear wing will begin to break about 60-80% of the race distance.

My impression is that chassis wear carries over from qualifying into the race. But as the engine is replaced before the race, you can overheat the engine in qualifying, although I suspect that the vibrations from running top speed in qualifying would still put wear on your chassis. When I play Minardi, I usually just do 3 laps in qualifying to reduce wear on the car. From what I know, every component has a wear % percentage, so for example. if you dont repair your car completely after Monaco and there is 15% wear on the chassis, the gearbox might be 30% of that wear, thanks to Monaco being Monaco, and depending on the demands of the following race, might increase the chance of the gearbox failing.

But as I say, there's no way to know for sure without looking at the maths behind the game. :1smiley:
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby polo199 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:19 pm

Hey Veedub,

Thanks for your insight. I think I'm trying to push that rigidity limit too far and it got me a bit frustrated. Hence asking exactly how people handle it (though I had understood the relation with the top speed).

I think you're right about global use being transferred from session to session. I also think there is some randomness to it too. For example, yesterday I saw one of my cars with twice as bad engine condition as the other, whereas pilot instructions were the same regarding top speed and acceleration.

In the end, it makes sense saving some quali laps to save some engine/car condition. It also makes sense not to run your laps with too high of a top speed, even during qualification.

Still need to figure out whether acceleration is only impacting starts (that's what's written in the manual).
polo199

Postby Veedub » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:22 am

I believe the acceleration driver order impacts lap time (as you would expect) but maybe not directly. I haven't found the maths yet for how driver orders impact laptime.

I find that if you have high driver order for acceleration and braking, this usually increases tyre temperature and vice versa. By having the optimum tyre temperature, you have your quickest lap. So if acceleration does not have a direct impact, you can still use it to heat your tyres (and to improve your starts). Of course, too much acceleration and top speed together will overheat the engine. I imagine high braking order is used to heat the brake drum, which helps radiate the heat to the wheel rim, heating the tyre. :1smiley:

It should go without saying that overatking is much easier when the driver can use more of the car's performance.

Sadly a lot of this is guess work, as the feedback from the game is hard to read/make conclusions from, as there are so many variables - track temperature, tyre characteristics, engine response, throttle performance.
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Return to Discussion & Help