GPRaceGames

forums.gpracegames.com

7 Years of GPRaceGames and the end?

Forum Announcements [Non Discussion]

Moderators: Sean, sionco, RacerBG

7 Years of GPRaceGames and the end?

Postby sionco » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:16 pm

This website was started in 2012 to take over from the GPM2 World website which was left to die and unable to be updated by the owners. At that time I took the decision to create this website and put it on the same paid hosting that I used for me personal websites.
In that time the community has grown.

However, due to changes in direction in my life, I have no use for my other personal websites which I have deleted. Therefore, I regret to inform you all, that I can't afford to pay the yearly hosting costs (100$) just to keep GP Race Games alive. So, therefore in a month I will let the domain expire.

If anyone wants to take over, start a fresh, I'm happy to transfer-export any data/ forum database / domain over to the new owners.

Thank you very much for being part of the community and my apologies,

Siôn (sionco)
sionco
Site Admin

Re: 7 Years of GPRaceGames and the end?

Postby BioBiro » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:06 pm

Muahahahahahaha!! After waiting in the shadows for all these years, finally you are down on your luck and I can takeover!
BioBiro

Postby Veedub » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:59 am

Thank you Sion for your efforts, we all got a little more life out of these games thanks to you.

An unfortunate but understandable decision. Take care and good luck for the future!
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby sionco » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Veedub wrote:Thank you Sion for your efforts, we all got a little more life out of these games thanks to you.

An unfortunate but understandable decision. Take care and good luck for the future!

Cheers.
As I said, the offer still stands, I'd be happy to export the data from the forum or copy it across to anyone who wishes so everything isn't lost.

good luck
sionco
Site Admin

Postby vanherst » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Dear Sion,

How many bandwith does the site need?
I have some room left on my server, this great site must be saved.

With kind regards,
vanherst

Postby Veedub » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:58 am

And if we cant host it, I'd love a backup if possible. Sion, do you know what size the backup would be? Even if it's a back up from today is fine, doesnt have to be last minute backup. Anyone have a place to upload the backup to?
There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.
Veedub

Postby Nuppiz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Since you no longer need to host multiple sites, is there any chance you could move to cheaper hosting? I'm asking this because while I don't have the time to start hosting yet another site, I'm doing quite decently on the financial end of things so I wouldn't mind pitching in to pay some of the hosting costs.

Not only there's a sizeable amount of my stuff (like GPM2 modding guides) uploaded here, but I'm probably indirectly responsible for a decent amount of the existing traffic here. You know, because of the few mods I've made over the years...
Author of more than a dozen GPM2 Mods. Nowadays mostly consulting and helping others with their projects.
Nuppiz

Postby sionco » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:09 pm

vanherst wrote:Dear Sion,

How many bandwith does the site need?
I have some room left on my server, this great site must be saved.

With kind regards,

The website is about 800mb bandwidth
and the forum is about 500mb bandidth monthly
sionco
Site Admin

Postby sionco » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Veedub wrote:And if we cant host it, I'd love a backup if possible. Sion, do you know what size the backup would be? Even if it's a back up from today is fine, doesnt have to be last minute backup. Anyone have a place to upload the backup to?

Stats from the phpbb forum page:

Database size 20mb
size of posted attachments: 26mb

I've made a backup of the phpbb database and downloaded it . I think if a phpbb board is setup somewhere else, all you need to do is go to the Administration Control Panel, and click restore uploading the file
sionco
Site Admin

Postby Sean » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks, Sion for hosting this website and forum over the years and hopefully someone else can take over hosting. If anyone needs someone to make a new website just let me know as recently I've built a few WordPress websites for people.
Author of GPM2 1986, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Mods

1986 Download
2012 Download
2013 Download
2014 Download
Sean

Next

Return to Forum Announcements